Sorry about my supreme lack of blogging lately. The internet has been on the fritz. Fortunately, we figured out the problem and so here I am, in my roommate's room, updating you all on the details of my life. I haven't really been up to much, just hanging out with new friends and exploring as much of Paris as possible. The picture to the left was taken in the Musee Carnavalet. It is a museum dedicated to discovering the history of Paris. There are many historic things, paintings and such. It is most particularly known for the galleries dedicated to the revolution. It houses a model of the Bastille prison that was sculpted out of part of the actual prison that was taken down July 15, 1789. It also houses the only remaining red bonnet from the French revolutionaries. It was pretty sweet to see that stuff. The picture to the left is of a ballroom that was in Paris. I forgot the historical significance but it was pretty much the most incredible room that I've ever seen. I wanted to burst in to the Sound of Music because it reminded me of the Von Trapp ballroom. It was pretty amazing. There were a lot of little rooms that were recreated, either with the same furniture that was actually used or furniture that looked like it. Marie Antoinette's jail cell was there and let me tell you, it didn't look like a cell. It looked like the bedroom of nobility. The only thing she had to complain about was being beheaded!
Thursday after class I went to the Musee Marmottan Monet. It's basically a museum filled with Monet and impressionist paintings. It also has some gorgeous Rodin sculptures. It was incredible!!! I actually saw the original Temps en Pluie by Caillebotte. It was amazing!!
Friday was probably the coolest day I had last week though. We had dinner on the first floor of the Eiffel Tower. We then decided to climb the stairs to the second floor....about 20 flights I would say. It was crazy and tiring!!!! But awesome. After that we decided to head on over to the Louvre because we have free year-long student passes. We checked out the French and Italian paintings and had some delicious coffee. Later that night, we decided to go out for a drink. We went to an awesome Scottish pub and watch golf with a bunch of Brits and Scots. It was a really fun time!
Today classes start. So far so good. Not too much to do yet. I expect that will change quickly. But for now, I'm just enjoying the days and the beauty that is Paris. More later.
All my love,
French Amy
No comments:
Post a Comment